Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Are you smarter than a fourth grader? I'm obviously not!!

I am venting right now because I am helping Dylan with his math, and the way they teach them how to do it nowadays sucks!!! Mental math is what they call it, but I think whoever came up with this theory is MENTAL!!! It is no longer 347-48=299, it is 347-50=297+2=299. Addition is even worse 543+126 is now 543+130=673-4=669. I admit I am no whiz at math and it is probably a piece of cake for everyone else, but whatever happened to good old fashioned regrouping and solving the REAL problem!!!! AAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!

4 comments:

Dan & Colbs said...

What?! Obviously we both need to go back to school because I don't get it either. Personally, I think the calculator was the greatest invention ever!

Jess and Joe said...

LOL!!! I am for sure in trouble when that comes around. Joe will be taking that one on. I don't remember doing any math in school. hahaha! Good Luck

jaime said...

huh?

Shaun & April said...

Whitney, thank your for the comment. It is so fun to find friends from Highschool. Thank you for your prayers and concerns for MaKenna. We really appreciate it. I can't believe we both have fourth graders... I keep telling everyone I started early! :) I love your pictures. I would love to get into photography, but that will have to wait until after nursing school. I'll call you in a few years when you are famous, for some tips. I'll add your blog to my links so I can keep up with your cute family.